[mythtv-users] Network terminals, regulation, and regulation avoidance

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Sep 16 08:21:30 UTC 2009

Another prong for an 'attack' might be to try and get the FCC to
mandate that any provider of encrypted services makes available a
CAM/CI card for the service. Over here in the UK we have a similar
situation with Sky - they use their own encryption and control the
entire system. They control who gets a slot in the EPG, and I believe
they have the receiver boxes set up so that it's difficult to use any
channels not in the EPG (so you only get channels 'approved' by Sky).
You *have* to use a Sky receiver as they don't supply CI cards to
decode the signal with anything else - and so they can get away with
charging extra for PVR, extra for HD, extra for this that and the
other.

OK, it still leaves you in a situation where you have to pay extra
for each CI card - but at least it means you cab buy/rent a card and
use it in any receiver.

I would anticipate a strong and dirty fight back from the media
industries, but it might be worth a try. From what I've read lately,
it looks like your FCC might actually be starting to think about the
consumer (at least a little) unlike our useless OfCom (err, we
usually spell that OfCon because they are a useless con who seem to
be interested only in supporting their chums in industry).

--
Simon Hobson