[mythtv-users] Lost my OS hard drive (also ran)

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 12:55:54 UTC 2009

> It looks like a great service but I am always unsure on what details
> are being sent to the backup provider even if you backup locally and
> whether they can decrypt your files?

I believe the ads refer to a couple of small ads that are displayed on
left hand side of the main program window. They are non intrusive (no
popups, etc) and are typcally for system administrative stuff and
backup stuff like the drobo. As far as your data goes, it is always
encrypted, and they store the encryption key on your local computer
and a backup on their servers. However you have the option of
requiring a password to recover data (i.e. your encryption key is
encrypted in a password protected file). In this case they explicitly
say that they cannot help you recover the key if you forget the
password, and you have to start your backup over again. Data is always
encrypted locally before being sent anywhere and the explicitly state
that your data is never decrypted by them. So they do not have access
to your data, and any 3rd party would need your data password and your
encryption key to get to the data.