[mythtv-users] DISH+HD-PVR - best resolution?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 16:28:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> My DISH Network receiver is a ViP 211.  Its output can be set to 1080i
> or 720p (or 480i as well, I suppose).  I am using an HD-PVR for
> recording programs from DISH.  I am using VDPAU to display at my TV's
> native resolution of 1366x768.
>
> Does anyone have opinions on whether I should set the ViP 211 to 1080i
> or 720p?  Will there be differences in picture quality, MythTV/HD-PVR
> stability, or file sizes?  For what it's worth, the web seems to
> indicate that DISH's HD content is sent in a weird 1440x1080i format.
> So no matter what, the ViP 211 will do its own scaling (and possibly
> deinterlacing), and then VDPAU will rescale (and possibly deinterlace)
> for my TV.

So I decided to actually try 1080i instead of just speculating about
it.  Thanks to my combination of DISH receiver, HD-PVR, and MythTV
version, the programs recorded and displayed a one-pixel-tall green
line all the way across the bottom line of the screen.  (It's not the
TV, since the green line also showed up in the preview image.)  That
pretty much answers my question about picture quality!  I'll stick
with 720p at least until 0.22 is released.

Jim