[mythtv-users] OT: Web browsing painfully slow, all else w/ethernet working fine

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Sat Sep 12 23:32:52 UTC 2009

I have a normal wired ethernet connection w/Linksys WRT54GS router + cable
modem, all has been fine for some time. However I just recently notice that
in Firefox/Opera whenever I load up a new page most of the time on the
status bar I can see "Looking up imdb.com..." etc. and it hangs there for a
good 5-10 seconds, sometimes timing out and I have to reload a few times to
get the page to go. Pinging google.ca or what have you in the shell gives
normal results, though, and all torrents and gaming are going fine too, no
change/slowdown at all there. I am sure it is either some network config I
have on the box or perhaps a router setting, I hope someone can help.

I backed up and cleared out my hosts file to see if that was causing the
slowdown (had one grabbed off the net filled with a myriad of spam/bad
sites, thought that might be causing slowdown) and this is all I got on it
for now:

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>   <hostname.domain.org>   <hostname>

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost       mythbox

# End of file

Not quite sure what other config(s) would be important, if you could
help but need any other info I will provide, much appreciate any
assistance fellas. Oh yeah, running Arch linux.

Thanks
Bob