[mythtv-users] Tracking which encoder shows record on.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 11 15:38:54 UTC 2009

On 09/11/2009 11:29 AM, Kenneth Emerson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Jay Roberts wrote:
>
>> In trying to troubleshoot intermittent recording problems on a multiple
>> encoder system, it would really help me to be able to determine which
>> encoder recorded shows recorded on using info in the database. However, I
>> can't see a way to do this. I've looked through whats available in the
>> database, and it does not look to me like this is tracked.  Am I correct?
>>  If not, how would I tell?
>>
>> The best I could do was use chanid in the recorded table to determine the
>> video source, but with multiple encoders on the same video source, this
>> still would not narrow it down to the actual encoder.
>>
>> Barring the database, I suppose I could go to the log file but I was hoping
>> to not have to do that.
>>
>> I was looking for any help I could get.
> One of the problems I see in tracking the encoder number with the recording
> is that this number is not cast in stone.

Yeah, and it's generally meaningless information in the long term, so
wasn't considered worth saving in the database.

>   Any time you delete and re-add
> tuner cards, the encoder numbers change.  It would be up to the user to
> delete/add tuner cards in the exact same order each time in order to keep
> the tuner IDs the same.

And, really, on many systems, the "tuner number" or "card number" or ...
doesn't mean anything as the order in which physical cards are init'ed
is likely to change on reboot (meaning kernel order will change) unless
you explicitly add udev rules or module options to prevent.  On a system
with multiple identical capture cards, few users take the time to lock
the card order.

Mike