[mythtv-users] Tracking which encoder shows record on.

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Fri Sep 11 16:44:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 09/11/2009 11:29 AM, Kenneth Emerson wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Jay Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> In trying to troubleshoot intermittent recording problems on a multiple
>>> encoder system, it would really help me to be able to determine which
>>> encoder recorded shows recorded on using info in the database.
>>
>> One of the problems I see in tracking the encoder number with the
>> recording
>> is that this number is not cast in stone.
>>
> Yeah, and it's generally meaningless information in the long term, so
> wasn't considered worth saving in the database.
>
>>  Any time you delete and re-add
>> tuner cards, the encoder numbers change.  It would be up to the user to
>> delete/add tuner cards in the exact same order each time in order to keep
>> the tuner IDs the same.
>>
>  And, really, on many systems, the "tuner number" or "card number" or ...
> doesn't mean anything as the order in which physical cards are init'ed is
> likely to change on reboot (meaning kernel order will change) unless you
> explicitly add udev rules or module options to prevent.  On a system with
> multiple identical capture cards, few users take the time to lock the card
> order.

I was trying to troubleshoot tuner audio issues (similar to Jay's
predicament), and I found that i had to revert to the log to find the tuner
that was used for the recording.  I was able to do it, but it was a bit
tedious.

How about adding a 'displayname' column to the recorded table that would be
populated with the 'displayname' of the tuner that was used for the
recording?  That would have made my troubleshooting SO much easier...
;-)    IMHO, this would be much more useful than just the 'cardid' which, as
already noted, will often change upon system upgrades.

A column with this data would also be extremly helpful with the 'borked
recordings' detection being talked about in other threads... ;-)

J-e-f-f-A