[mythtv-users] DISH+HD-PVR - best resolution?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 11 01:46:00 UTC 2009

On Thursday 10 September 2009 19:24:08 drew einhorn wrote:

> I can imagine a tool the analyzes video and determines the
> optimal resolution for storage, balancing file size and image
> quality.  But I am not aware that such a tool exists.
>
> If someone knows of such a tool, please tell us about it.

Such a tool exists, it's between your ears, if you also have an MPEG analyzer
and a few other things, and a large stack of currency.

I think the satellite companies use multi-channel encoders that make decisions
about bitrate dynamically, but I don't think they change the resolution. They
may also take into consideration other factors, like perhaps giving priority
to premium channels.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org