[mythtv-users] DISH+HD-PVR - best resolution?

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 01:24:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> My DISH Network receiver is a ViP 211.  Its output can be set to 1080i
> or 720p (or 480i as well, I suppose).  I am using an HD-PVR for
> recording programs from DISH.  I am using VDPAU to display at my TV's
> native resolution of 1366x768.
>
> Does anyone have opinions on whether I should set the ViP 211 to 1080i
> or 720p?  Will there be differences in picture quality, MythTV/HD-PVR
> stability, or file sizes?  For what it's worth, the web seems to
> indicate that DISH's HD content is sent in a weird 1440x1080i format.
> So no matter what, the ViP 211 will do its own scaling (and possibly
> deinterlacing), and then VDPAU will rescale (and possibly deinterlace)
> for my TV.

There is no one best size.  It will vary depending on the content.

Some content is produced at low res, and somewhere along the way
It may be upscaled/upconverted to a higher resolution, which may
help to reduce some artifacts when viewed on a high res display, but
it can not add new detail to the images.  The video can be downscaled
back to the original res with little or no degradation in image quality.

Higher res uses more disk space.

I can imagine a tool the analyzes video and determines the
optimal resolution for storage, balancing file size and image
quality.  But I am not aware that such a tool exists.

If someone knows of such a tool, please tell us about it.

--
Drew Einhorn