[mythtv-users] Setting up remote control from Hauppauge 1600

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Fri Sep 4 18:09:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Eric A. Boney <
mailinglists at vanhlebarsoftware.com> wrote:

> On Friday 04 September 2009 11:46:43 Raymond Wagner wrote:
> > Eric A. Boney wrote:
> > > Do I still need to have lirc setup on the front-end machine? Do I need
>

> > ... you cannot use the receiver on the 1600 for
> > obvious reasons.
> Ok, the machines are not backends at all, just frontends. So what you are
> saying is that it isn't possible to put the ir receiver on the frontend and
> program it to control just the front end? I am not needing to interact with
> the tuner card at all, just the ability to select shows/music/videos,
> stop/play etc in those items.
>

> -Eric

Eric,

You can use the remote control from the 1600 for your frontend, but not the
IR receiver (since it plugs into a special port on the 1600 tuner itself).
So you'll need external IR receivers to each of your frontends.

The easiest solution IMHO is a Microsoft MCE USB remote and receiver set -
which can be purchased somewhat inexpensively nowadays.  (~25 or so if you
shop around a bit)  (best search term I've found for ebay is "Microsoft
RC6")

OR... If your frontends have serial ports and you're handy with a soldering
iron, you could roll your own IR receiver - just have a look at lirc.org and
the "Supported Hardware" "Homebrew Receivers" "Serial Port Receiver"
section...

J-e-f-f-A