[mythtv-users] mythcommflag is pretty darn amazing

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Tue Sep 1 20:20:24 UTC 2009

Hi Richard,

I use mythcommflagging on DVB-T (freeview) here in the UK, and can say that
it works excellently.

Very occasionally it makes a mistake, but it's a feature that we have on all
the time and is definitely an asset.
I recently 'demoed' the box to someone not technically savvy, and they said
that feature alone would make them want to buy one, but I don't think there
is anything commercially available that compares.

I'd say that mythcommflagging is very dependent on the network broadcaster
logo in the top corner.  A particular favourite is the Virgin channel - it
uses a logo and it gets the adverts right virtually always spot on - e.g.
some "StarTrek" episodes are trimmed from 1hr down to 40mins and are
correctly trimmed to the second.
We also like "Bob and Margaret" - a cartoon.  However, this uses a lot of
black frames between scenes in the story and this would occasionally throw
the commsflagging.

A lot of the channels, i.e. those from the BBC, don't have "adverts", so it
isn't needed here.
However, I can also say that I have my recordings to start early / finish
late, and with BBC channels it is often clever enough to trim off the early
recording, so the start of your program appears the second you press play.

Finally, Freeview HD (satellite) is called "FreeSat" - might help with your
searching.  Apparently, some channels are in HD, but be warned that you do
lose some channels that are found on Freeview - i.e. the Dave channel, so
make sure you take a look before you choose.

Hope that helps,

MG
-----
"The most overlooked advantage of owning a computer is that if they foul up
there's no law against whacking them around a bit."