[mythtv-users] Way to check the status of a tuner from command line

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Tue Sep 1 19:52:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Eric A.
> So since I haven't been able to figure out the cause of my tuner going "off
> line" on my slave server I was hoping for a quicker fix for now. Seems that
> once this tuner goes unconnected, the only way to fix it is to reboot the
> server entirely. Even restarting the backend or stopping and then starting
> it again still won't bring the tuner back to a connected status on the
> master backend.
>
> So is there anyway I can test the status of this tuner from the command line
> so that I can setup a simple script to to reboot the system if the tuner is
> in a non-connected status?
>
> Does anyone else have any other ideas that could be causing the tuner to go
> from connected to unconnected status every single day? There are no messages
> in either the master or slave logs either.

Howdy Eric,

Any particular kind of tuner?

If you try to "test" the tuner from the command line after it goes
into the failed state, I assume it doesn't work?  If you never launch
mythbackend after a reboot and just let things sit there for hours on
end (perhaps while using the device from the command line), does it
hang?  Seems like most Linux drivers have a way to "reload", so a
reboot strikes me as a bit extreme.

Lastly, maybe showing my ignorance here, but that hasn't stopped me so
far: specifically what do you mean by "connected status" and "goes
unconnected"?  Are you referring to the message that Myth throws on
the screen when you go to LiveTV and it complains that it can't get
anything from the tuner?

Good luck!

   Marc