[mythtv-users] VDPAU PCI card effectiveness?

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 1 06:04:56 UTC 2009

>On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 00:33 -0400, Phil Bridges wrote:
>>  I have a Athlon 2500+ connected by an AGP FX5200 to a
>> 800x600 CRT monitor over the VGA port.  I can almost play HD material,
>> but not quite.  Any thoughts as to whether or not a VDPAU-enabled PCI
>> nVidia card would get me up to playing HD material?
>
>My experience says yes. I've got a lowly Celeron playing HD (both MPEG
>files from an HDHomerun and H.264 files from an HD-PVR) to an SD TV
>(letterboxed) using VDPAU and it works fine.
>
>--Greg
>
>I have a AMD2400 and PCI 9400GT and it still crashes with Display Pre-emption
issues with any of the current drivers.

>A second 9400GT PCI card paired with an Intel 3000 seems to work ok.
>
>I have wondered if the AMD CPU's are not as compatible as the Intel ones with
the PCI vdpau cards.

>I would be interested in other peoples experiences of AMD CPU / VDPAU PCI
combinations.

>Alternatively the motherboard has issues (Gigabyte GA 7VRXP - was ok with a
5200) or the NVIDIA drivers still have an error that
>needs remedy.  (Still seems the most likely explanation)
>
>Beyond that I struggle for potential explanations.

I don't have any issues and both my FE's are AMD .. an opteron 170 (dual core)
and an opteron 146 (single core) One is using an 8600GT and the other is using an
8400GS...  both CPU's sit at 1000Mhz even during HD playback.

I did have this issue until I turned off an option that was recommended
(something being synced to opengl)..