[mythtv-users] latest recommendation for VDPAU PCI card

William william_munson at comcast.net
Tue Oct 27 10:26:41 UTC 2009

sdkovacs wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> With the soon to be released .22, I hope to move to a real video card.
> Currently I'm using the TV-OUT of a PVR-350. What is the recommended
> NVIDIA PCI card? Will I run into PCI bus saturation problems if I'm
> running a PVR-150, PVR-350 and a video card all on the PCI bus?

I am running a 9400GS on a PCI bus using the nVidia vdpau support in
myth and have had no problems displaying any vdpau supported video modes
however forget about playing anything that does not.  Even with vdpau I
ended up removing one of my pvr250's as both running would saturate the
bus while playing back avi video.  Another limitation is that you will
only be able to use the temporal 1x and bob2x filters. One frame works
too. Anything more advanced will play with pauses. Even temporal 1x
experiences jitters on fast moving scenes.

All in all, avoid the PCI bus cards unless you have no other option.