[mythtv-users] Is the GT220 the new chip of choice? (Idle power?)

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Oct 24 00:09:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 03:17:09PM -0600, match at ece.utah.edu wrote:
> like the G210 cards are not quite powerful/fast enough for the most
> demanding codecs, and the GT220 cards barely make it over the line, but I
> don't expect there are very many of these cards in the hands of MythTV uses
> yet.

Just making it over the line is what you want in a "chip of choice" I would
say, because it means it will be the cheapest and lowest-wattage item to
do what you want and play the videos.  If you plan on using the system
for 3-D gaming, then of course you may decide to get a higher-end card.
All those bigger cards seem able to do the video with room to spare.

Unlike other situations where you also want room to grow, I don't see
that as much here.  Chances are it's a long time before you would
hook up a TV bigger than 1920x1080 to your box, and even the highest
end cards won't do codecs not yet dreamed of with just a software update,
or that's my inuition at least.

> This card:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125295

A big fan is indeed what you want, though the newegg reviews are
not so great.  Of course gt220 cards are all not heavily reviewed yet.