[mythtv-users] Question about mythfilldatabase?

David Yoder dyoderatucsd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 20:26:40 UTC 2009

Hi there. I only recently subscribed to the list, so please, please
forgive me if this question has already been addressed.

The short version of my question is: I'm using DataDirect and have the
option selected to allow the server to schedule my next grab. I'm
wondering if I can separate the grabbing process of mythfilldatabase
from the mysql stuffing process? I.e., can I allow the server to dictate
when I grab the data for server load purposes, while I can dictate when
the data will be processed into the mysql server? Read on for details as
to why.

The long version: I noticed that the mythfilldatabase process takes an
awful lot of cpu load on my meager machine. I have a separate frontend
machine in another room which I use for viewing, but while
mythfilldatabase is running, things jam up and I can't watch programs,
live TV, etc. (I get a message that the backend seems to have gone away,
and killing mythfilldatabase immediately fixes things.) I want to be a
good user and let the DataDirect servers manage their load properly, but
I also would like to schedule the load on my end to be low during times
I might be watching TV (i.e. 4am would be a good time for things to run
on my end). I know that mythfilldatabase has a --file option for XMLTV
grabbers (I had to use it back in the day), so I'm wondering if I can
somehow set things up to work with the DataDirect grabber so that
everybody's happy? Thanks in advance for your help!

--David