[mythtv-users] MythTV, 1080P, NVidia, DVI to HDMI

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Fri Oct 23 12:11:48 UTC 2009

David Krainess wrote:
> --- On Thu, 10/22/09, Jarom McDonald <jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu> wrote:
>

>> a) Some TVs do not allow you to have an HDMI input with a
>> separate audio feed. Check your Panasonic's HDMI inputs to
>> see.
>>

> OK, the Panny manual shows some dotted lines to use separate audio on HDMI (and the spec says "Analog audio input (for HDMI): yes".  But assuming I want to do audio over HDMI (to save a cable or be digital perhaps), can someone recommend a good VDPAU capable card (available from NewEgg) that works with the SPDIF passthrough, MythTV, and a Panny 2009 plasma panel.  There must be someone :>
>
> Any advice appreciated.

I don't have a Panasonic panel, but my LG required me to edit the EDID
data to remove the audio information if I wanted to use analog audio
with HDMI video. Really if you are connecting by HDMI you might as well
get SPDIF passthrough working and not worry with EDID editing. I am
using this ASUS 9500GT:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121271  As
someone else mentioned in this thread you can get analog audio and HDMI
video working (I did have it working), but in the end it was much easier
to get SPDIF passthrough working. I happen to have all ASUS
motherboards, and my video card came with the necessary cable to connect
to the MB. The cable I received was just a four pin flat connector on
the MB end; it should work for any MB. I am running Mythbuntu 9.04 and
it was as simple as configuring Myth to use alsa:default and unmuting
SPDIF in alsamixer.

Cheers,
James