[mythtv-users] MythTV, 1080P, NVidia, DVI to HDMI

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Fri Oct 23 12:27:12 UTC 2009

James Crow wrote:
> David Krainess wrote:
>> --- On Thu, 10/22/09, Jarom McDonald <jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> a) Some TVs do not allow you to have an HDMI input with a
>>> separate audio feed. Check your Panasonic's HDMI inputs to
>>> see.
>>>

>> OK, the Panny manual shows some dotted lines to use separate audio on
>> HDMI (and the spec says "Analog audio input (for HDMI): yes".  But
>> assuming I want to do audio over HDMI (to save a cable or be digital
>> perhaps), can someone recommend a good VDPAU capable card (available
>> from NewEgg) that works with the SPDIF passthrough, MythTV, and a
>> Panny 2009 plasma panel.  There must be someone :>
>>
>> Any advice appreciated.
>>

> I don't have a Panasonic panel, but my LG required me to edit the EDID
> data to remove the audio information if I wanted to use analog audio
> with HDMI video. Really if you are connecting by HDMI you might as
> well get SPDIF passthrough working and not worry with EDID editing. I
> am using this ASUS 9500GT:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121271  As
> someone else mentioned in this thread you can get analog audio and
> HDMI video working (I did have it working), but in the end it was much
> easier to get SPDIF passthrough working. I happen to have all ASUS
> motherboards, and my video card came with the necessary cable to
> connect to the MB. The cable I received was just a four pin flat
> connector on the MB end; it should work for any MB. I am running
> Mythbuntu 9.04 and it was as simple as configuring Myth to use
> alsa:default and unmuting SPDIF in alsamixer.
>
> Cheers,
> James

I should add that I also have this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187063 in my HP
MediaCenter system because I needed something low profile. It did not
come with the necessary SPDIF passthrough cable. I was able to purchase
a cable from a major auction site for a couple of bucks.

Cheers,
James