[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 9.10 slow UI

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 6 22:41:42 UTC 2009

On 10/06/2009 05:43 PM, nospam312 wrote:
>> surprised at how slow the UI is. I experience 5-10s delays when changing
>> screens on the default theme. I saw some posts indicating that the theme
>>
> Yes I have the same problem (previously posted on this).
>
> Once the screen is loaded moving between the options seems ok but
> going into a new menu is painfully slow.  I have NVIDIA drivers
> installed etc.

But they're not installed correctly.  (Likely a package manager
failure.)  If you have broken video drivers, you can get fast
performance by just using the Qt Theme Painter (you may want to start
mythfrontend using

mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=qt

the first time to allow you to easily navigate the menus to
Utilities/Setup|Setup|Appearance without the delay and then change it
properly).  Obviously, the best fix, though, is to fix your video driver
installation.

>   It was slow enough that I have given up testing.  I
> will stick with my current install of Mythbuntu 8.10 which does the
> job albeit without the new MythTV.
>
> The main thing I was hoping to be fixed hasn't been even though there
> is a patch waiting to be applied (myth not playing last 4 seconds of
> video).  If it is applied/fixed

That can't be fixed for 0.22 because the necessary changes are too
invasive for inclusion this close to a release.  It might be "improved"
for 0.23, but to really be "fixed" requires a whole different approach
for handling the end-of-recording prompt (and one developer has already
expressed an interest in doing a good fix for it).

Besides, for 0.22 or 0.21-fixes, you can work around the issue by
disabling the end-of-recording prompt.  You can /still/ use the exit
prompt, but the end-of-recording prompt causes us to exit 2s early (and
coupled with bad video encoding, causes us to exit your video 4s
early--it can be /much/ higher than 4s for some videos).

Or, if you're compiling yourself, just apply both patches at
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6974 to get the "improved" (but not
"fixed") version of the end-of-recording prompt.

Mike