[mythtv-users] Transcoding/cutting down file size

Greg Zornetzer gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:40:51 UTC 2009

Hi Bobby,

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:

> (Sparked from the "state of lossless H.264 cutting" thread)
>
> So just to clarify (considering going HD by end of year), there is no
> "built-in" means of transcoding a, say, 60min ep[43 mins cut down] into a
> ~1.1gb file as one would find shows via torrent? (Just an example, please
> don't flog me for merely bringing it up).

What you are describing works just fine for MPEG2 streams pulled off OTA
ATSC or QAM in the United States.  It's just that you cannot apparently do
this for h264 encoded recordings (from other posts in that thread).  I am
currently able to do what you describe using 0.21-fixes on locally broadcast
HD channels.
-Greg