[mythtv-users] Transcoding/cutting down file size

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 18:16:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Greg Zornetzer
<gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bobby,
>
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
>>
>> (Sparked from the "state of lossless H.264 cutting" thread)
>>
>> So just to clarify (considering going HD by end of year), there is no
>> "built-in" means of transcoding a, say, 60min ep[43 mins cut down] into a
>> ~1.1gb file as one would find shows via torrent? (Just an example, please
>> don't flog me for merely bringing it up).
>
> What you are describing works just fine for MPEG2 streams pulled off OTA
> ATSC or QAM in the United States.  It's just that you cannot apparently do
> this for h264 encoded recordings (from other posts in that thread).  I am
> currently able to do what you describe using 0.21-fixes on locally broadcast
> HD channels.
> -Greg

I found that lossless cutting also works for recordings that are first
transcoded to mpeg4.  With the PVR-150 I used to have, I would need to
first transcode to mpeg4 and then do the lossless transcode, because
closed captions would get out of sync if I did the lossless transcode
first.

Jim