[mythtv-users] Frontend ION but with DVB card?

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Tue Nov 17 10:06:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Lars Oeschey <oeschey at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/11/17 Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com>:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Lars Oeschey <oeschey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There's nothing fundamentally stopping you from using an Ion system as a
> > combined frontend/backend.
>
> oh, I do know that a ION based system is adequate for FE/BE, *but* I
> need to plug my DVB-S card somewhere ;) As far as I have seen, neither
> the Revo nor the Zotac boards have a PCI slot?
>
> Lars

Ah, missed that it was a PCI tuner.

A separate backend is probably the way to go, so long as you remember to
treat it like a real server. Shouldn't be too hard - my combined
backend/frontend gets about 6 reboots a year - about 4 for distro upgrades
and associated trouble, and the odd power failure. I've never had
mythbackend crash. (That said, this is based only on my own anecdotal
experience). Mythfronted is a different story, but crashes there won't
affect the recordings.

- Chris