[mythtv-users] Frontend ION but with DVB card?

Lars Oeschey oeschey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 10:34:40 UTC 2009

2009/11/17 Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com>:

> Ah, missed that it was a PCI tuner.

hm, I'm not definately bound to that, maybe I could get a USB tuner,
though it will get a bit ugly I guess, and I don't know nothing about
them...

> A separate backend is probably the way to go, so long as you remember to
> treat it like a real server. Shouldn't be too hard - my combined
> backend/frontend gets about 6 reboots a year - about 4 for distro upgrades
> and associated trouble, and the odd power failure. I've never had
> mythbackend crash. (That said, this is based only on my own anecdotal
> experience). Mythfronted is a different story, but crashes there won't
> affect the recordings.

There's just those two points about this, I'm not concerned about
updates, but more about crashes. I would have to harden it (mirrored
disks), and just would have too much to rely on it. When it's crashed,
there's no more TV, and since I don't plan on more than one FE (until
kids grow old enough), there just would be no real reason for
separating it. I could still make it a second BE for transcoding or
stuff, but I don't want to be dependant on it. It's just a desktop PC
after all ;)
And second, it would have to run out of S3 as long as TV runs and
cosume energy...

Lars