[mythtv-users] silent and low-power: AMD or Intel?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed May 27 10:58:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 5:04 AM, barbex <barbex at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> Little problems here and there with my mythtv box made me think that
> the universe is trying to tell me that I should look for new hardware.
>
> I know that hardware questions keep coming up again and again but
> things are changing so much so fast that I don't trust old threads all
> that much.
>
> Now I know where to get general hardware information but I would like
> to hear about some actual mythtv-experience.
> My priorities are low energy consumption and silence.
>
> So by your very subjective experience, should I go the AMD or the
> Intel route? Which are better supported by Linux?
> Onboard graphics or nvidia card? (I have a very old and settled hatred
> against ATI cards.)
> General hints and tips regarding motherboards?
>
> Thank you very much for your thoughts.

If this is a frontend only look at the ZOLTAC ION and the thread that
goes with this. If this is a backend get a low end 45nm chip from
either manufacturer and use cpu frequency scaling. The chip will use
less than 20W at idle and at the lowest frequency. Also use
independent drives instead of a raid. That way you may be able to
power down drives when not in use.

John