[mythtv-users] No Volume control with iec958

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sun May 24 06:11:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009 02:48:32 pm Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/5/24 Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com>:
> > MythTV 0.21 (Jean-Yves VDPAU repo)
> >
> > Using a ALSA:plug:iec958 I get successful sound output with a NVidia
> > 9400GT, however I cannot get the volume controls to work (including
> > mute).
>
> Try with ALSA:spdif or ALSA:iec958 only...

That does work - I think my asound.conf was screwing things up, have since
simplified it.

> AFAIK, a nvidia 9400GT won't do audio natively, so if using a
> passthrough cable, it's just a matter of configuring spdif output.

Yah, passthrough from my Mobo

> what does aplay -l output ?

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 Digital [ALC662 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

> For the software volume to work, you must use "software" in the
> default mixer settings (Settings -> General -> Audio page)

Nope.

This in my asound.conf + ALSA:Default in myth tv briefly worked:

pcm.!default {
         type plug
         slave.pcm {
                 type hw
                 card 0
                 device 1
                 subdevice 0
         }
}

Sound and Volume, but now the volum has stopped working after a reboot.

> > Also AC3 Passthough just produces static.
>
> probably not using the right audio device.
> Make sure the passthrough device is properly set. If using my
> packages, I've added some default entries there.. Try them all, surely
> one will work

Tried them all, none work.

--
Lindsay