[mythtv-users] Cannot get the backend to run

Jarom McDonald jlmcdonald at gmail.com
Sat May 23 03:51:18 UTC 2009

If you're doing it from the command line, try these steps.

1) Log in to the mysql shell as root with this command:

mysql -u root -p

2) Enter the mysql root password when prompted

3) Select the mysql table with this command:

use mysql

4) Query the user table with this command (don't forget the semicolon on the
end of the query):

SELECT user,host FROM user;

5) If you don't have a row that has "mythtv" in the user column and either
"macMini" or "%" (the mysql wildcard) in the host column, you can create
that user with this command:

CREATE USER mythtv at macMini IDENTIFIED BY [whatever password your mysql.txt
or config.xml file uses]

6) Grant that user permissions to use the mythconverg DB with this command:

GRANT ALL on mythconverg.* TO mythtv at macMini

7) Flush privileges

Of course, all of this raises a very important question that smarter people
than I will have to address ... why, when the backend or mythtv-setup is
trying to start, is it trying to connect to the hostname macMini rather than
localhost? That's really the root of the problems (it's not something I've
seen before...my backend just connects with mythtv at localhost), and may have
to eventually be addressed if you're ever planning on adding additional
backends or frontends. I take it this is actually installed on a macMini? If
so, is it on OS X or did you install linux onto your Mini? I guess it's
possible that, if you're actually running it on OS X, there's something with
how that OS handles hostnames that is messing with Myth...

I hope this helps in any way.

Best,
Jarom