[mythtv-users] Cannot get the backend to run

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri May 22 22:33:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Jarom McDonald <jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu> wrote:
> The one piece of information you haven't provided yet are the details of
> your mysql user tables on the non-working and the working servers. Remember
> that a mysql user is a combination of a username and a hostname, so
> mythtv at localhost and mythtv at macMini and mythtv at 192.168.1.61 are 3 separate
> users (even if, on the OS level, they all resolve to each other). The error
> message you're getting on MacMini is not a Myth error, but a MySQL error
> telling you that the mythtv at macMini user has been denied access. There are
> only three reasons for this: 1) mysql isn't configured to accept any users
> not from the 'localhost' host, 2) the password in mysql.txt isn't
> corresponding with the password in the mysql tables, or 3) the mysql at macMini
> user doesn't even exist.
>
> You've ruled out 1 and 2, but haven't ruled out 3. In your mysql user table,
> ("SELECT user,host FROM user") you have a mythtv at localhost (evident from
> your very first message that let you connect), and you have a
> mythtv at 192.168.1.61 (that was created when you did the GRANT statement), but
> you should check to see if you have a mythtv at macMini, and that ITS password
> is properly set, since that's the user that mythbackend is trying to connect
> with. You could just do:
>
> GRANT ALL on mythconverg.* to mythtv at macMini IDENTIFIED BY "[password]"
>
> just as you did with the user that has the ip address as the hostname, to
> insure that the user exists with the right password.
>
> If THAT fails, then I don't know what to say ... there could be some
> corruption in the mysql user tables. You could delete all users and
> re-create them, I suppose, or drop the DBs and reinstall mysql (you did say
> this was a new server, correct?)
>
> Jarom

Jarom,
   It is a completely new server with no recordings. I'm free to do
anything. I'll be using my HD Homerun with this server and taking the
older PVR-150 server out of service as Comcast ramps down analog
transmission.

   I'm completely happy to remove every database and start over if it
makes a difference. That way at least there shouldn't be so many
questions about what's been done to the database.

   What is the actual command I use in mysql to check this? I'd like
to check before I issue a new GRANT ALL. I think I'd learn something
important.

   I suspect that mythtv at macmini has not been accounted for.

- Mark