[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat May 23 02:59:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a "me too" to this conversation.
>
> OLD HW:
> Athlon 64 1.6GHz
> 1GB DDR memory
> Nvidia 6200 AGP 64MB
> 250GB system drive
> 500GB SATA drive dedicated to recordings
>
> NEW HW: (which I purchased to "fix" the problem)
> Athlon 64 X2 2.4GHz
> 2GB DDR2 Memory
> 8400GS 512MB PCIE-2.0
> Same hard drive config.
>
> SW:
> Fedora 10 x86_64
> Various MythTV packages (Was on atrpms 021-fixes, then rpmfusion 0.21-fixes,
> now atrpms bijou 0.21)
>
> I've had the problem with all combinations above after a certain date which
> I can't remember. Since I'm now using VDPAU for decoding I'm assuming ffmpeg
> is out of the loop and I still have the problem. I too only see the problem
> with 720p ATSC recordings.
>
> Seems like Xorg is becoming more likely the suspect.
>
> Richard

I think the ffmpeg patch could affect you even using VDPAU, as it
deals with libavformat...that is the ffmpeg code that handles file
formats and demuxing etc, not livavcodec, which does decoding.  As a
matter of fact, I had problems before the patch even when using
libmpeg2 as a decoder, so I think libavformat may be used regardless.

I still think however that all of this may be related to xorg 1.5.x.
If anyone who's had this problem here is still running xorg 1.3.x I'd
like to hear about it.

If that's the case, hopefully some future xorg version may help.  I'm
just glad that in my case the delays are rare enough and short enough
to be livable.

Tom