[mythtv-users] Confused about MBE/SBE boxes and myth.find_orphans.pl

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Fri May 22 14:15:06 UTC 2009

Hi...

I suspected the myth.find_orphans.pl is not doing what I wanted.

Recently, I moved a number of recordings around - thinking that mythtv
should find them again automatically - as I needed to repartition my
hard drives.

I have been toying w/the idea of running myth.find_orphans.pl on my MBE
and SBE boxes to clean up any loose ends.  Being sceptical, I have spent
time studying the proposed purging list myth.find_orphans.pl created.  I
have come across a file on the SBE box which, when renamed, renders an
instance of mythtfrontend running on the MBE box unable to find the
associated program.  Restoring the mpg file name allows the same
instance of mythfrontend to play back the recording normally.

Clearly, the recording which resides on the SBE box is in the data base
residing on the MBE box.  Further the recording is remotly accessible by
an instance of mythfrontend running on the MBE box.

So why does a run of myth.find_orphans.pl on the SBE box identify this
recording as one that should be purged? :