[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21 and seca3 encryption on DVB-S

Jelte Veldstra jelte.veldstra at gmail.com
Fri May 22 08:00:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>wrote:

> Please remember that a lot of the developers are in the US, and the list
> servers are in the US. It might be perfectly legal for you, but even
> assisting you to legally break encryption is a criminal offense in the US.
> We'd all like to say "stuff the DMCA", it's a bad law that criminalises
> several explicitly legal things - it it IS the law (in the US, and now
> effectively in the UK under a different name) and people coming under US
> jurisdiction have to bear it in mind.

I told I wouldn't mention it again, but can't help to respond to Simon's
comment. The way I use my setup is not to "break" encryption! I pay a
monthly subscription fee to the Satellite provider. They provide me with a
subscription smartcard which gets updated each month (by the provider, as
long as I pay may fee) with information to decrypt the encrypted DVB
streams. This mechanism also makes sure that I can only decrypt what I pay
for (e.g. no extra sports channels). This is fully in line with the end user
terms of that provider, hence my claim on that it is legal. I can't imagine
that this is illegal in the States and would expect there are content
providers there which have a very similar subscription system, but I won't
make claims on that not being a US citizen nor legal expert. It's not
breaking encryption. It's just decryption with the keys provided by the
provider based on my subscription information and fees.