[mythtv-users] Several Minute "Please Wait" delay

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Sat May 9 01:20:43 UTC 2009

On 05/08/2009 06:56 PM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 12:42:08 -0400 From: Daniel Kristjansson
> <danielk at cuymedia.net> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Several Minute
> "Please Wait" delay To: Discussion about mythtv
> <mythtv-users at mythtv.org> Message-ID:
> <1241800928.13824.466.camel at cherry.kristjansson.com> Content-Type:
> text/plain On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 12:56 -0400, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
>> >  I'm running the trunk. A few of my recordings have a long delay at the
>> >  start of playback. In the recent trunks this is the period where the
>> >  "Please Wait" screen appears. This takes several minutes, and then the
>> >  playback starts with no problem.
>> >
>> >  This only occurs when the front and back end are on the same machine, or
>> >  on any machine if I use "mythtv" to read the mpg file directly. I can
>> >  tell from strace that the player is reading the entire mpg file before
>> >  starting playback.
> This is a bug in trunk. Not quite sure what causes it.
>
> Is it reading the entire mpg, or just a large part of the first 180 MB?
> (One suspect is the MPEG-TS parser, which is limited to reading at most
> 180 MB worst case, but that is of course a very large bit of the file.)

It's reading the whole file. In one example its a 12GB HD file, I can
see whats its doing from /proc/.../fdinfo/.. and the offsets advance
linearly up to the full 12GB over maybe 5 minutes. After that the
playback starts (on a different file descriptor).

> I've only studied this with one mildly corrupted ATSC recording, I've
> not seen it with any PVR-150 recordings.

My files come from a HDHomerun. In the example above, once the playback
starts I don't see any sign of corruption. Mythcommflag even seems to
have marked the commercials correctly.

Out of maybe 25 recordings only 2 have the problem.

Is there a bugid on this, or should I open one?