[mythtv-users] mythtv + nfs = bad?

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Sat May 9 04:59:57 UTC 2009

----- "Dale Pontius" <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:

> means it

> be a

> which

> any
> in use.

> >> Brian,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the response.  What was strange about my setup was that
> it was
> >> working just fine for a long time.  Then all of the sudden, one
> day, it
> >> stopped working.  I don't know if it happened during a kernel
> update or
> >> what.  I know I'm running NFSv2.  I don't know how to update myself
> to v3
> >> or above.
> >

> > The precise upgrade method would depend on your distribution, any of
> the most
> > recent distros should have support for v3. I'd consult the relevant
> support
> > fori.
> >
> > Even if (for example) an upgrade to your server side machine enabled
> nfs v3,
> > the systems should negotiate the highest commonly supported version,
> so if
> > your client can only do v2, that's what the server should do as
> well.
> >
> > There have also been some changes in the default settings for
> sync/async, and
> > some others I think.
> >
> > But using "mixed" systems might cause problems.
> >
> > Another user here noted an improvement in performance by using samba
> mounts
> > instead of NFS, certainly sounds like it's worth a try. I'm going to
> look
> > into that, and try to get some hard numbers.
> >
> > I'm certainly no expert on NFS, I use it for non-Myth applications
> and it has
> > always "just worked", but I don't put much demand on it.
> >
> I'm running nfs4 and still have the problems.  It's supposed to be
> ironed out by the time client and server get to 2.6.29 or beyond.

This discussion got me to do some googling....  I came across some discussion, such as here:

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/UserInfo/Resources/Hardware/IBMp690/IBM/usr/share/man/info/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixbman/prftungd/2365ca3.htm

which eventually led me to see this...

http://kamilkisiel.blogspot.com/2007/11/understanding-linux-nfsd-statistics.html

Those combined with some more research led me to believe I wasn't running enough nfsd daemons.  The default of 8 just isn't good enough -- does that account for the
problem I was seeing, I guess time will tell.  But it's at least a start.

Nasa