[mythtv-users] OT: 3 week old HDD "Clicking" ??

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Fri May 8 18:45:14 UTC 2009

Personally, nowadays I recommend to price-conscious customers not already
having a tape library/site-wide backup system, to buy a USB->SATA disk
drive. Back up once a week/month as they feel is necessary, then either keep
it at home or unplugged in a draw.
Faster than tape (kinda expecting an argument here).
Backups can be rsync'd, so are effectively incremental.
You can get two/three of them and store them for a while

Price isn't that bad I would suspect. Last year, I got myself a 500Gb for
~£50, when I remember I take backups of my photos onto it (which are already
on a raid 5, and more often backed up to another raid 5). As the hard disk
is not plugged in, only a fire, or a massive electrical pulse, like a
lightning bolt directly hitting the house, is likely to cause much damage
(and at that point, the wife will moan that I should have backed up to DVD I
am sure, but at 72GB and growing, that is a pain)
Gareth