[mythtv-users] OT: 3 week old HDD "Clicking" ??

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri May 8 00:59:33 UTC 2009

Bill Williamson wrote:

> Raid 1/raid 5/raid 6 are about uptime.  NOT about replacing a backup.
> What will you do if there's a power supply surge, and your different
> brand different tiem drives both go?
>
> If your goal is 24/7 availability then RAID is a good idea.
>
> If your goal is surviving a disk outage or other problem then it's
> not.  It's not a bad idea, it just won't help anything.

Look at drbd as well.  RAID-1 over a network.  Pretty cool.

But yes, raid works at the device level; if your file system goes tits
up you still lose all your data.  I run drbd on top of raid-5 but I need
high availability (not for myth; for other things).

If you have the space, then rsync to another drive/server is better than
RAID-1.  But let's face it, it's TV.  Reload on the summer reruns.  I am
more worried about my movie and music collection.

--Yan

--
Yan Seiner

Support my bid for the 4J School Board.