[mythtv-users] DVD Catalogue ?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu May 7 02:58:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Scott <list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc> wrote:

> On May 5, 2009, at 11:26 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Paul <paul at paulhurley.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Not to sound sarcastic, but why wouldn't you just rip them to a hard
>>> drive..then who cares where they are?  Problem solved?
>>
>> Thats what I was suggesting in 5. of my email.
>>
>> The one reason I can think of is the storage required.
>>
>> * (conservative) average of, say, 5G per DVD.
>> * if OP has so many he doesn't know where he has stored each one,
>> maybe he has 200 of the things.
>> * Thats a TB of storage, which isn't overly expensive these days, but
>> it is if you haven't got room for it in your backend.
>
> I'm storing full PURCHASED DVDs on the HDD. It's not hard. AnyDVD running in
> wine does the job just fine. Files are stored to the NFS mount where
> mythvideo keeps the movies. Beyond that, it's just a matter of having
> mythvideo update it's index.
>
> Storage wise, it's more like an avg of 6GB per disk. 4TB of storage is cheap
> these days and will hold a decent size collection.

I entirely agree that ripping is best solution if you have the
storage. I can (and was) only make guesses why the OP would want to
use the DVD's instead of ripping them.

The good thing about linux is that he is free to do it either way, and
the open-ness of the system allows him to do so, and to still
catalogue them via a simple hack.