[mythtv-users] mythtv + nfs = bad?

Glen Sagers gsagers at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 18:49:24 UTC 2009

Nasa wrote:
> ----- "Torbjörn Jansson" <torbjorn.jansson at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> 2009/5/5 Torbjörn Jansson <torbjorn.jansson at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> found the setting, was under playback.
>>> when you enable this setting it doesn't take effect immediately,
>>> frontend needs to be restarted for it to work.
>>> once checked, playback is smooth and i don't need to dismount the
>>>
>> nfs share.
>>
>> i think i spoke too soon, the problem is back even with this setting.
>> but i did find something odd and i have a feeling this problem is not
>> nfs related.
>>
>> today when trying to watch recordings i go the stuttering video
>> problem agan.
>> but when i open iptraf and open detailed interface statistics for
>> eth0
>> the problem is gone as long as that screen is up and running.
>> explain that :-)
>>
>> immediately when i close the details interface stats the stuttering
>> comes back and goes away when i start it again.
>>
> Hi,
>
> I have had similar issues (I think) -- I have my store drive for recordings on my network server which is connected to my mythbox via NFS.  What I have noted is that the NFS share will *hang* at some random time causing myth to hang...  If I go into the media server and restart the NFS kernel everything works again.  However, on my main box -- those NFS shares are still avaialble (before restarting the NFS kernel).  Really don't have a clue on how to troubleshoot that -- so I am following your efforts closely :}
>
> Nasa

I too have had NFS problems that cause Myth to stop working (and stop
recording!).  I can't find anything in the logs that's meaningful, it's
intermittent, doesn't seem to be tied to system load, and a restart of
NFS on the remote machine always cures it.

Obviously the "always stream recordings" option won't work to actually
record the data, and I'm coming the the conclusion that NFS is buggy
somehow (and this bug has persisted across several kernels on both
master and slave backends).  I'm switching to Mythbuntu next week to try
and fix it, maybe it's related to Gentoo, although it's never crashed
under any other workloads, including rsnapshot backups, the "distfiles"
source directory is mounted to several machines over NFS, etc.  I've
tried hard and soft mounts, the "intr" option for the mounts, different
TCP sizes, etc, and nothing seems to help.

Some have traced NFS hang issues to load on certain motherboards or
motherboard/network card combos, but I've never confirmed it on my board.

Glen