[mythtv-users] Suspend to RAM

James Armstrong james at thearmstrongs.org
Fri Mar 27 12:08:55 UTC 2009

On Mar 26, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Peter Lord wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently setting up a combined frontend/backend mythtv box -
> I'm nearly
> there :-), but I have a few outstanding questions.  I'll post them
> individually.
>
> I'm using .21-fixes from
> http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/
> Ubuntu_Repository.html on a
> M3N78-VM based system.
>
> Although I have the system shutting down when idle and starting up
> before the
> next record, the cycle is fairly slow.  So I would like to suspend
> to RAM
> instead of the shutdown.  However, using hibernate-ram, I'm not
> getting very
> far ... typically I end up with a blank screen with a flashing
> cursor in the
> top left corner.
>
> Is there a recipe to follow to get suspend to RAM working with a
> combined
> frontend/backend with USB DVB drivers and nvidia ?  Or am I
> expecting too much
> :-)
>
> Thanks !

I have suspend to ram working on M3N78-VM and FC10. I did not really
have to do anything special. The only thing that causes problems is if
you are on the watch recordings screen and it is suspended, when it
resumes the network is not ready sometimes and mythtv hangs with a
long timeout trying to talk to the backend (different box).

- James