[mythtv-users] Suspend to RAM

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Mar 27 02:21:21 UTC 2009

> However, using hibernate-ram, I'm not getting very
> far ... typically I end up with a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the
> top left corner.

I've been using suspend-to-RAM on my 2 frontend machines, and it works
great. My video is done by my nvidia 7150 chip that's on the
motherboard (nforce 630i chipset). One of the gotchas that I wasted
the most time on was the blank screen problem (not sure if it's the
same thing you are experiencing). I tried every possible combination I
could find documented with respect to saving/restoring the video
state. Nothing worked.

I eventually figured out my mistake was trying to suspend from a
command prompt (I exited out of x-windows first). If I suspended from
x-windows with the nvidia drivers loaded, the drivers seemed to know
how to save and restore state, and everything worked fine.

By the way, the way I restore is just using a custom script I wrote.
It simply does the following

1) "/etc/init.d/xxxx stop"
on whatever services don't seem to handle a suspend well (this
included the onboard network card***, my lirc devices, and some custom
scripts I wrote that depend on lirc)

2) "grep USB0 /proc/acpi/wakeup | grep disabled | awk '{print $1}' >
/proc/acpi/wakeup"
this allows the USB device to wake the system from suspend.

3)echo -n mem > /sys/power/state
this actually does the suspend

4) "/etc/init.d/xxxx start"
do this on all of the stop I stopped in step 1

5) restart mythfrontend, which is necessary since the lirc process
restarted and the old instance can no longer get lirc messages

***note...well, I don't actually stop the network drivers anymore
since I use an add in network card, because I am doing a diskless
boot, which doesn't seem to cope well when you unload the network
drivers and it has no way to get to the network drive to reload them.
However, just wanted to point out you may have to do the same,
especially if you are using a similar card based on the forcedeth
drivers.

--
Ron