[mythtv-users] optimized system configuration for DB

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:25:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 6:34 PM, sonofzev at iinet.net.au
<sonofzev at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Tue Mar 24 22:34 , Phill Edwards  sent:
>>> Also, the documentation doesn't seem to have much regarding db optimisation, can
>>> someone point me in the right direction for optimising the DB for MythTV. The
>>> backend box is a Gentoo box, so any specific gentoo related docs would also be
>>> great.
>>
>>At http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fc6myth.php#mysql Jarod Wilson recommends:
>>
>>key_buffer = 16M
>>table_cache = 128
>>sort_buffer_size = 2M
>>myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M
>>query_cache_size = 16M
>>
>>He also recommends this link which has lots of useful optimisation tips.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Phill
>
> Thanks to both of you who responded.
>
> These links look really good.
>
> As for the database location, I think I will initially try it on my backup RAID
> and see how it goes.. I only have 2 bays spare and want to use them to extend the
> media RAID over time. I may go the other way and use the external drive for the
> bt client...... funny that I've just triggered off a copy of ARCH right now...

I've got my database on a standard 7200RPM drive and have had no
issues with it. I've got 5 HD tuners and 4 HD capable frontends. I
don't think there will be much need to worry about the speed of the
database. I just put it on my system drive and do a daily backup of it
to my RAID recordings array.

If you really wanted speed you could create a RAM drive and use that
for the database and do dumps to the raid array as often as you can
afford to (via rsync perhaps?)

--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff