[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 15:00:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> Jeff Walther wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, this topic kind of chaps me because I frequently hear the media
>> non-critically hyping how wonderful it is to have solar panels, and the
>> fact is that anyone who can do simple math (and doesn't live somewhere
>> with really expensive electricity) can see that they make no economic
>> sense whatsoever.
>>

> Alas, the ability to do simple math and a PV analysis is sorely lacking in
> the US... Witness the current housing meltdown.
>
> I did the same analysis.   It costs about $10K/1KW for solar.  With state
> and federal subsidies, the break-even over 20 years is about $0.15/KWh, and
> the life of the equipment is 20 years.  This assumes no maintenance.
>
> Part of the reason is that it is a specialty market.  If more people did it
> it would be cheaper, but more people won't do it until the price comes down.
>  I sort of wish our current administration would follow up on the proposal
> to buy back solar-generated energy at $0.15/KWh.  Then you'd see a lot of
> systems go in and the price would come down.
>
> --Yan
>

> --
>  o__
>  ,>/'_          o__
>  (_)\(_)        ,>/'_        o__
> Yan Seiner      (_)\(_)       ,>/'_     o__
>      Personal Trainer      (_)\(_)    ,>/'_        o__
>            Professional Engineer     (_)\(_)       ,>/'_
> Who says engineers have to be pencil necked geeks?  (_)\(_)
>
> I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization.

Some states also require the power companies to generate a specific
amount of their output in "green" energy.  Here in Maryland the local
power company is paying additional amounts for electricity that is
"green" on top of the $/KW so that they can meet their requirement.

There are also additional savings here where the AC bill in the summer
is high, since the panels reduce the sun load on the roof (our
electric **usage** dropped by about 10% in the last 2 summers after
putting the panels on).

I'm not saying that it always makes economic sense, but there are
other savings that are introduced by solar panels.

George