[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Mar 9 14:53:10 UTC 2009

Jeff Walther wrote:
> Anyway, this topic kind of chaps me because I frequently hear the media
> non-critically hyping how wonderful it is to have solar panels, and the
> fact is that anyone who can do simple math (and doesn't live somewhere
> with really expensive electricity) can see that they make no economic
> sense whatsoever.

Alas, the ability to do simple math and a PV analysis is sorely lacking
in the US... Witness the current housing meltdown.

I did the same analysis.   It costs about $10K/1KW for solar.  With
state and federal subsidies, the break-even over 20 years is about
$0.15/KWh, and the life of the equipment is 20 years.  This assumes no
maintenance.

Part of the reason is that it is a specialty market.  If more people did
it it would be cheaper, but more people won't do it until the price
comes down.  I sort of wish our current administration would follow up
on the proposal to buy back solar-generated energy at $0.15/KWh.  Then
you'd see a lot of systems go in and the price would come down.

--Yan

--
  o__

I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization.