[mythtv-users] New HD HomeRun problem

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 5 01:37:22 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 18:05:05 Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 1:16 PM, greg <greg12866 at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> > Bob Sully wrote:

> >> David -
> >>
> >> I think you're probably right.  Hopefully the new power brick will fix
> >> it, but I'm not holding my breath.  How long is the warranty?  Hopefully
> >> my HD-HR isn't out of the warranty period (but my usual luck on these
> >> types of issues would indicate that it is :( )
> >>
> >> Bob
> >
> > Mine was long out of warranty.They sent it to me no questions asked..
>
> Consumer law in this country would require replacement of a faulty
> part (especially where it fails on a systematic way like these do)
> even if the warranty has expired. I imagine your law would require the
> same. Also what company is going to limit a recall to those who are
> still in the warranty period? Marketing madness!

True (mostly) in the US, as you surmised. In the auto business these are
referred to as "hidden warranties", different from recalls in that no notice
is sent to the consumer.

Apple does this as well, I once got a $750 logic board replaced for free that
was years out of warranty on a G5 iMac, because it was a "known problem". I
had also bought that machine used and told them that, they replaced it
anyway, Apple does have good customer service.

I would suspect that Hauppague received some sort of settlement from the
supplier of the failing units (I doubt they built them in-house). The vendor
may be replacing them on a unit-by-unit basis, or there may have been a
flat-rate settlement of some sort. Certainly it was not Hauppauge's fault,
unless they specified it incorrectly and they were blowing up due to
overload.
--
beww
beww at beww.org