[mythtv-users] Advice on Partitions

Jonno jonnojohnson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 04:02:24 UTC 2009

I just reinstalled Mythbuntu 8.10 from scratch (long story, wish I hadn't).
Anyhow, the Mythtv install is on the primary 320GB drive with my
recordings stored in an xfs partition (sdb1) on an external 1TB eSATA
drive mounted on /var/lib/mythtv/recordings. I want to use the 320GB
drive as a backup store for pictures, home video and music. However I
just noticed that the Mythbuntu LiveCD install created a 10GB ext
partition (sda1) for everything except /var/lib which it mounted in a
300GB xfs partition (sda6) which it created (obviously expecting that
this is where I would store my recordings).

First I am wondering why the Mythbuntu folks put the entire /var/lib
on an xfs partition rather than just /var/lib/mythtv. Is there
something else in /var/lib that could benefit from the xfs file system
other than the recordings?

If the answer to the question above is yes then I guess I'm ok with
creating a directory in /var/lib to put my backup files although I was
kinda thinking it would be nice to have those in my home directory.

If the answer to the question above is no, then I would like to remove
sda6 and expand the sda1 to take up the rest of the 320GB drive.
However I'm a bit nervous about how to do that without screwing
something up.

Would this be an appropriate order to do things:
Exit mythtv and stop the backend
cp -r /var/lib /temp/var/lib
umount sda6
cp -r temp/var/lib /var/lib
Remove the line from /etc/fstab that mounts sda6 on /var/lib
Reboot into Gparted LiveCD
Delete sda6 partition
Resize sda1 partition
Reboot