[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI what about th eaudio???

A JM vbtalent at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 19:42:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Alex Halovanic <halovanic at gmail.com> wrote:

> To answer your earlier question, yes, I am using the modified custom EDID
> file method described with the 180.29 drivers (it worked with 180.35 too as
> well, but those drivers broke other things).
>
> Initially when I set up my new 9400 GT I noticed a large amount of overscan
> on the screen and a hissing noise that I thought was a fan spinning at full
> speed.  The noise turned out to be coming from the tv speakers because of
> this flag being set in the EDID.  Removing it fixed both problems for me.
>
> As you've discovered, the only other option is to ignore the EDID entirely,
> but then you're stuck not knowing the modelines your tv is expecting.
>
> -Alex

Ignoring the EDID works great for sound... but just using the modelines in
xorg.conf didn't seem to work I don't see why though.. it should.

I'm a little confused on exactly what is being removed from the EDID.bin
when modifying it, is it the sound portion? If so, then wouldn't xorg.conf
just need to know here the file is?

# the CustomEDID option tells xorg to use the edid-new.bin file
# and not the detected edid for the TFP DFP-0 monitor
    Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/edid-new.bin"