[mythtv-users] DVI to HDMI what about th eaudio???

A JM vbtalent at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 20:38:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Alex Halovanic <halovanic at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> To answer your earlier question, yes, I am using the modified custom EDID
>> file method described with the 180.29 drivers (it worked with 180.35 too as
>> well, but those drivers broke other things).
>>
>> Initially when I set up my new 9400 GT I noticed a large amount of
>> overscan on the screen and a hissing noise that I thought was a fan spinning
>> at full speed.  The noise turned out to be coming from the tv speakers
>> because of this flag being set in the EDID.  Removing it fixed both problems
>> for me.
>>
>> As you've discovered, the only other option is to ignore the EDID
>> entirely, but then you're stuck not knowing the modelines your tv is
>> expecting.
>>
>> -Alex

> Ignoring the EDID works great for sound... but just using the modelines in
> xorg.conf didn't seem to work I don't see why though.. it should.
>
> I'm a little confused on exactly what is being removed from the EDID.bin
> when modifying it, is it the sound portion? If so, then wouldn't xorg.conf
> just need to know here the file is?
>
> # the CustomEDID option tells xorg to use the edid-new.bin file
> # and not the detected edid for the TFP DFP-0 monitor
>     Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/edid-new.bin"

Just posting a little progress if anyone is interested. Using the program at
http://analogbit.com/node/23 I was able to modify the edid.bin and load it,
get a correct picture and sound using the modelines that were supplied

   ModeLine   "1920x1080" 148.500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089  1125
+hsync +vsync
   ModeLine   "1280x720" 74.250 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync
+vsync
   ModeLine   "720x480" 27.000 720 736 798 858 480 489 495 525 -hsync -vsync

But I'm having some odd problems, Rythmbox hangs the machine and ultimately
needs a reboot - it worked fine when EDID was disabled totally.

Also, what are all these options for and are they all needed?

   Option      "ModeValidation" "AllowNon60HzDFPModes, NoVESAModes,
NoXServerModes
   Option         "RenderAccel" "true"
   Option         "DynamicTwinView" "False"
   Option         "TVOverScan" "0.00000"
   Option         "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
   Option         "NoLogo"
   Option         "XvmcUsesTextures"  "false"
   Option         "UseEvents" "True"