[mythtv-users] ivtv and cx88-dvb not playing nice

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 23:32:26 UTC 2009

>> Disable the in kernel support for all your cards and use the v4l-dvb
>> driver instead.
>>
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/repo/
>>
>> John
>
> Just curious...is there ever any reason to use those instead of the
> built-in kernel support with newer kernels?  It seems like I've seen
> this suggested quite a bit, and I was always under the impression that
> you should use the kernel drivers (as I always have with my HD5500
> cards since installing two years ago).

I recommend it because there are situations where you can not always
use the latest kernel. In my case I use an openvz kernel which only
goes up to 2.6.27.21 and only within the last 2 or so months was that
usable before that I was stuck at 2.6.26 for months. For the OP I
assume they want to stick with 2.6.18 that their version of Centos
provides and this way provides the latest v4l drivers without the need
to change the kernel.

John