[mythtv-users] nVidia drivers 185.18.14 now out, ubuntu mythtv packages update ...

Clay nt4usb at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 00:01:44 UTC 2009

> From: Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
> >
> > btw, do you (or anyone?) know how to disable that
> hateful 'bulletprof' x that forces a vga display whenever x
> breaks?
> > It makes it impossible to configure x remotely since
> the stupid 'low graphics mode' message prevents gdm from
> stopping and/or restarting.
> > Of all the irritating 'Windows like' niggles the
> developers are adding to Ubuntu, this one has to be tops.
> > More than once, (and once for real) I've wanted to
> smash my keyboard over my knee, fighting that 'feature'...
> > If I wanted 'idiot proof', I'd use Windows. *g*
> >
> > Thanks again for your contributions, JYA!
> >

> I do everything remotely. When this happens, I log in the
> PC using ssh. Run /etc/init.d/gdm stop

As do I. Doesn't kill the 'helpful' message (or gdm) though.

> Then do a ps ax | grep X
> Kill all the X processes

This is the step I missing. Thanks for the pointer!

... My frontend doesn't have a
> mouse or keyboard.

I have a mouse and keyboard I can drag out of the closet and plug in to my frontend.
I prefer not to, if I can avoid it.
Sitting on the floor, staring up at a fuzzy old CRT TV is tough on the old squinties.
Never mind, all the menus are off the screen courtesy of Nvidia's overscan issues with TVout.

Nuking failsafe xorg is my mission for tonight... then getting the VDPAU driver going again.

Thanks again,
clay