[mythtv-users] gentoo VDPAU ported ebuilds or alternatives?

William william_munson at comcast.net
Tue Jun 9 09:48:07 UTC 2009

On 06/09/2009 02:50 AM, sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've had a system running on Gentoo for a while, but in an effort to consolidate
> power usage I am moving my backend to my general home
> file-server/firewall/router. Let me know if this is a bad idea first....
>
> I have VDPAU capable cards for my two frontends, but have been waiting patiently
> for the 0.22 release of MythTV.

Thats not going to happen for quite a while. Better look at alternatives.

> I am not the most patient person so I was wondering about a few alternatives to
> make use of VDPAU on my frontend machines.
>
> 1. Running Gentoo on my backend with the most current 0.21 ebuild. . Using a
> custom ebuild for the patched version (either making my own or using this one
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-731657-highlight-vdpau+mythtv.html)
>
> 2. Running Gentoo on my backend with the most current 0.21 ebuild, but using
> mythbuntu (or ubuntu normal) with Jean's patched versions of 0.21.

I have had great luck with JYA's ubuntu packages. Its been more stable
than the unpatched code.

> 3. Any other alternatives that people might suggest.
>
> Lastly, I could always keep waiting for 0.22 and for it to make it into portage..
> if people think that it is getting close (say within 6 months) as my frontend
> systems are powerful enough to do fairly good de-interlacing.

Even after release, expect a whole bunch of issues as this is a complete
overhaul of the code and is very poorly tested. Before you start flaming
me, poor testing is normal for linux code as there is not a big
MicroSloth style beta program to iron out the bugs. We simply do the
best we can and release code and then fix the stuff that gets reported.