[mythtv-users] gentoo VDPAU ported ebuilds or alternatives?

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Tue Jun 9 12:37:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, June 9, 2009 7:50 am, sonofzev at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've had a system running on Gentoo for a while, but in an effort to
> consolidate
> power usage I am moving my backend to my general home
> file-server/firewall/router. Let me know if this is a bad idea first....
>
> I have VDPAU capable cards for my two frontends, but have been waiting
> patiently
> for the 0.22 release of MythTV.
>
> I am not the most patient person so I was wondering about a few
> alternatives to
> make use of VDPAU on my frontend machines.
>
> 1. Running Gentoo on my backend with the most current 0.21 ebuild. . Using
> custom ebuild for the patched version (either making my own or using this
> one
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-731657-highlight-vdpau+mythtv.html)
>
> 2. Running Gentoo on my backend with the most current 0.21 ebuild, but
> using
> mythbuntu (or ubuntu normal) with Jean's patched versions of 0.21.

I'm currently running a Gentoo based 0.21-fixes combined backend and
frontend and I also have a mythbuntu frontend-only using Jean's patched
versions.  So I can confirm that this works (if nothing else).

Personally, I'd never considered using mythbuntu until VDPAU came along,
and I was impressed at how quick and easy it was to get a frontend-only
machine up and running.  So I'd recommend this approach.