[mythtv-users] Trying to use upnp, weird issues

Mark Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Mon Jun 8 12:28:50 UTC 2009

On June 5, 2009 16:49:28 Mark J. Small wrote:
> On June 5, 2009, Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Friday 05 June 2009 12:05:38 Mark J. Small wrote:
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to use the upnp features of mythtv to serve my music and
> > > pictures. I'm using the 0.21 packages from the stable tree of
> > > debian-multimedia.org on a Debian Stable system.
> > >
> > > I've installed djmount on a separate machine, and it does not see any
> > > upnp servers on my internal network.
> > >
> > > I've read the the ip address (not localhost), must be entered in to the
> > > backend for upnp to work properly.  Well Mythtv-setup has the proper ip
> > > address entered, but the setup->general screen in mythfrontend points
> > > to localhost.  If I try to change this, then I can no longer connect to
> > > the database, and the backend will not restart either.
> > >
> > > I've used nmap to check the standard upnp ports, but tcp 5000, 1900 and
> > > udp 1900 are all closed.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any advice?
> >
> > You need to have the real IP in both locations in your setup. I guess
> > this means figuring out why things don't work when you set things up that
> > way.
> >
> > I entered the real IP of a combined FE/BE machine in both locatons in the
> > setup, once I did that the UPnP server function worked fine.
> >
> > Even if you could get the UPnP functions running with "localhost" you
> > would still have a problem, because the URLs that your UPnP control point
> > tried to go to would contain the localhost address, which would obviously
> > not work.
>
> So I'm trying to set the host to the real IP address in both locations, but
> when I do, I can't connect to the database anymore.  I get this:
>
> QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
> Database error was:
> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'debtest' (using password: YES)
>
> where debtest is the name of my backend.
>
> Hmm,
>
> This really looks like a mysql problem now, but if I check the grants, I
> see mysql> show grants for mythtv@"%";
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>-----------------------------+
>
> | Grants for mythtv@%                        |
>
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>-----------------------------+
>
> | GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'mythtv'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD 'deleted' |
> | GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `mythconverg`.* TO 'mythtv'@'%'
>
> +
> I deleted the password hash from this mail just in case..
>
> Looks like anybody called mythtv should be able to connect from any
> machine.
>

> So this test is the kicker:
>
> From my backend if I do:
> mysql -u mythtv -pMYPASSWORD -h debtest mythconverg
>
> I get
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'debtest' (using
> password: YES)
>
> But the exact same command works perfectly from a different machine.

> [...]

I think that I've got this mess figured out.  It ended up that the mysql user
mythtv at debtest had a different password set than mythtv at 192.168.0.%.  After
setiing the password correctly I can now log in to the mysql database using
the above command.  I'm not sure why this got set separately, its probably
been that way since I set up my myth backend way back in the mists of time.

I can't test upnp yet, because my two year old is watching Dora the Explorer,
and I don't want restart mythbackend right now....

Mark