[mythtv-users] "Video Mode not supported" if PC turned on before TV

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 13:18:22 UTC 2009

>> With the right modline and the right edid, the PC will always output
>> the same signal..
>> That's the whole point of CustomEDID
>
> But even if the PC does output the same signal, turning the TV off and
> on again doesn't affect things because the output signal hasn't
> changed in the time it takes me to turn the TV off and on again.
>
> Similarly I'm having problems viewing the BIOS screen on the TV
> (sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't), and this is well before
> the CustomEDID starts.

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I thought I had a good system worked
out - if I turn the TV on, then within about 3 seconds turn the PC on,
it all worked fine.

But last night I tried to turn the TV/PC on, using the usual method,
and all I got was "Video Mode Not Supported". I did about 20 power
cycles, and the TV never displayed anything from the PC (not even the
BIOS screen). It's a Philips 32" LCD TV, connected via a DVI cable to
a NVIDIA 8500GT

When I had this problem a few months ago, I tried using another TV and
everything worked perfectly.

I'm wondering if the TV is interpreting the DVI signal correctly -
however, I used to get a similar problem when I used a VGA connection.

Does anybody have any suggestions about what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Jonny